Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Getaway Weekend to Field BC, Aug 29-30/2015

Field, Natural Bridge, Emerald Lake Takakkaw Falls BC






 The elusive Red Chairs!  
The National Parks have a program in which they place these red chairs in especially beautiful view points in each park.
I say elusive because they are difficult to find, or at least have been for Ruth and I on our jaunts. John and I were headed up the trail to the falls when I saw a flash of red through the trees.....I must say I look very pleased with myself and John.....and I don't remember gloating to Ruth!



 


Field is becoming a favorite place to settle. We didn't recognize that a few years ago, but looking back now, every year there seems to be quite a few stops. This August John and I traveled down that road for a getaway weekend. Ahead of time I had done the Expedia site looking for B&B's. Field is small enough there are very little services, perhaps one garage, one lodge, but numerous B&B's . Most likely a profitable business for home owners in the area and surprisingly little vacancies!As with all my travels , I find you don't get to know the areas until you stop. Driving down the highways at breakneck speeds (OK not so breakneck in the old van Willow) does not allow a person to recognize all the bright spots around the area. All the sights, all the hikes and the little spots to stop and have brekkie or lunch or just poke around the shops.It turns out Field is a great base point for short trips in the area also. There are two campgrounds in the area although very busy with no reservations.All in all a great little getaway.John and I got the last available B&B called Sunset Inn. Main floor of a two story home. It was a rainy weekend which made for great photos of dark menacing skies .


John and I arrived in the rain, checked in and decided on  a plan for the weekend. Out first
destination was Takakkaw Falls. 

We had such fun taking
way to many photos that I cant seem to delete because each one has good features!

I do have to admit Johns camera has some definite pluses so he got some different shots of the falls. Nevertheless its great fun and I wont post each and everyone....













The grey day (and it didn't rain all the time) did not make for the best photo opportunities at the falls.
I love this photo of Johns as his camera has more settings available than mine. 









I just wonder how many people they have lost over this cliff.....Still remember the feeling in the back of my knees.....This proves I was there as I haven't posted tooooo many of my shots yet......;-)













I am not sure if drops on camera lens are from the rain or mist from the falls...either way it was a damp weekend.





One last look.


It was a busy weekend in Field including the restaurants (of which they are not many) 


Truffle Pigs Bistro & Lodge

Truffle Pigs Lodge serves gourmet food in a rustic setting (outside deck in the warmer drier days.



We ended up at Emerald Lake lodge and found a spot in the pub area. Actually a nice quiet spot to talk and relax.

I expected more of a view from the restaurant but it was sitting more in the trees.
View from the bridge though was beautiful.











 

















































We left the restaurant just as dusk was settling on a overcast misty day. I was thinking the next  day may be clearing but to no avail.
We stopped for a last view of Emerald Lake and then a short stop at the Natural Bridge but by that time it was getting to dark with even more clouds rolling in.....










 This photo is my favorite of Field. Field is located between Lake Louise AB and Golden BC. The valley or pass is often a great location for thunderstorms and numerous opportunities to sit in the campground at Monarch or Kicking Horse and get photos of rainbows.





After a good breakfast at Truffle Pigs Bristo we headed east and stopped at Lake Louise and Moraine Lake and acted like tourists of which there were millions. The traffic jam at Lake Louise was unbelievable. Seemed like a good excuse to stop at the Outpost Pub. and have lunch.




Of course I always manage to find a few flowers for some colors in another rainy day.


Chateau Lake Louise























Lake Louise







Lake Louise AB



Must be my photo, I never get my horizons straight! and no date stamp of Johns. 









Moraine Lake AB





As in the Maritimes John was navigator which allows him to snap photos as we drive. I feel we get some good photos that way and gives you a perspective of the actual drive....



Rundle Mtn. Vermilion Lakes Banff AB





Say goodbye to another great weekend and another memory made.....

and of course the skies cleared as we drove home......












No comments:

Post a Comment